We would like to integrate disabled, in particular physically challenged people and employ them as well as to help them to participate in society. Our small Café & Bistro should also serve as a barrier-free access place for those using powerchairs.
Author: Bc. Peter Šuvada
My name is Peter; however, no one had nicknamed me anything but Pepe for years. :-)
I am a real coffee lover, and I have always been fascinated by the gastronomy that used fresh foods and ingredients the right way. No wonder that opening of a small “around the corner” restaurant has been my dream.
Growing up physically disabled, I had to face worsening of my health condition almost three years ago, which hampered my effort for some time. It was my family, friends, and God who helped me to go through during the difficult period of my life. Last but not least, it is thanks to my determination that I would go on in making my dream come true – to open my very own small café and bistro. At the same time, I would like to bring something more....to our community of physically challenged people. :-)
The first two parts of my concept are Café and Bistro. The final one is “Integra” which stands for the integration of physically challenged people to a real everyday life and action. Café & Bistro Integra will be the place with no differences between people...it can take a little effort.
I would like physically challenged people to feel as full and equal members of our society.
They should be given a chance to do something more meaningful and interesting than just sitting at home and spending their time on social network websites, watching the TV, or reading a book. Physically disabled people must become socialized and have a chance to draw on their experience, as well as to earn some money.
That’s why I aim to create the most suitable conditions by reconstructing of rented place, so our employees and customers would feel comfortable. It is a combination of the right attitude and a pleasant environment that should make our customers want to come back again.
Most of all I would like our café to be an accessible place for everyone – those who can walk, as well as those who have trouble walking, using wheelchairs or powerchairs. It goes without saying, everything in our café will be wheelchair and powerchair accessible, including toilets! Café & Bistro Integra is our and, as I really hope, also your place. :-)
I wish my concept becomes a reality, including an environment, equipment, and all necessary adjustments.
Unfortunately, state subsidies are granted to you only after your place is ready to employ “disabled” people. To that point, you can’t make your plans happen without investing your own resources.
• I want to rent and reconstruct the place to be fully barrier-free, including floors, entrance, washbasins and batteries, toilets. This is, in my opinion, one of the most costly things to do, especially to widen door frames. It is vital that wheelchair users will be able to turn around fully. They also need to have a space for a personal assistant to help with getting disabled people to a toilet, but it is not possible in cramped conditions.
• To buy all the necessary bistro equipment, such are worktables, a convection oven, a grill plate, and other equipment.
• To adjust the working environment behind the bar from where our mostly physically challenged employees will make and serve coffee and other drinks. Specialized serving desks or stands attached to wheelchair or powerchair are necessary to use. This will help to improve our employees' overall performance.
• Set a "seating" at a bar for wheelchair users or customers of small stature. We also plan to have a menu in Braille. "Integra" all the way :-)
• To get the environment ready, so both our employees and customers would feel well, free to move with any barriers or other obstacles. It is about the moment when they say to themselves; this place is really barrier-free. I feel so "independent."
Café & Bistro Integra could be possibly situated in Nitra area. I am thinking of the city of Vráble, in case a suitable place will be available. Unfortunately, I can’t confirm anything at this point, as it is impossible to keep the site reserved for free until this project will become a reality.
I still believe together we will make it and Café & Bistro Integra our and your will be located in a beautiful and most importantly barrier-free place :-)